Last Updated on
Are you still wondering whether to get a bagged or bagless vacuum? Some people prefer a bagged vacuum but those that prefer the bagless models also a lot.
One of the reasons why people prefer a bagged canister vacuum is the convenience of removing the bag and just throw it away. But people are arguing that the bagless models can save costs as you do not need to buy the bag regularly!
So, both types of vacuums have their pros and cons, and that is why we write this article to enlighten to you and help you make a decision to get the best vacuum model. (See the top-rated bagged canister vacs).
This bagged vacuum cleaner guide aims to throw some light on whether you should purchase one and how the bagged vacuum could help you from a healthy home point of view. In addition to getting a quality machine bear in mind that more money does not always ensure higher quality.
- The 5 Best Bagged Canister Vacuum Cleaner Reviews
- Best Bagged Canister Vacuum from Consumer Reports
- The Bagged Vs. Bagless Vacuum Cleaners
- *** Important Points to Consider…***
- Conclusion: Pick One According to Your Needs and Budget!
The 5 Best Bagged Canister Vacuum Cleaner Reviews
We have outlined several bagged cylinder vacuums below with various price points that get good consumer reviews. Check out these bagged cleaners now.
#1: Best Overall – Miele Complete C2 Hard Floor
As one of the top canister vac manufacturers, Miele vacuums have a 20-year average life-span. Also, Miele has undergone a 1,000 hours of testing their vacuums to ensure it can run smoothly and great suction (performance) all the time.
We choose this model as the best overall bagged canister vacuum because this cleaner is good for hard floor and low-pile carpeting. It comes with great features, high consumer ratings in many online stores, and the price is reasonable.
It comes with 2 different floor tools; the SBB 400-3 Parquet Twister XL Floor Brush is a 16” wide mouth hard floor cleaning tool to help can finish the cleaning job even faster. The soft bristles can let you clean hard floors safely without scratching it. The SBD 285-3 Combination Floor Tool is suitable for cleaning hard floor and area rug. You can easily flip of a foot switch to switch between them.
Following are the notable features of this affordable cleaner by Miele:
- Power with Miele 1200-watt Vortex motor to ensure excellent suction power.
- AirClean Filter and Pre-motor filter; optional to upgrade to HEPA filter.
- 6-speed rotary dial setting helps you in cleaning different surfaces. You can use max suction for hard floor and lower the suction for carpet cleaning.
- 7-qt self-sealing bag with a bag change indicator.
- This vacuum has 21′ power cord with an automatic cord winder.
- The 3 non-marking wheels (360° maneuverability) will not scratch the hardwood floor finish.
- Attachments: The crevice tool, dust brush, and upholstery tools.
- 1-year warranty for parts and 7-year warranty for motor and casing.
- Read our editor’s full review on this model here.
See the demo about this Miele Complete C2 hard floor vacuum.
For more info, customer reviews, and FAQs, visit Amazon.com.
#2: Best Splurge – Miele Complete C3 Calima
This is a medium to high-end model of canister vac by Miele (PowerLine motor). This superior cleaner is made by Germany and it has proven to be good in term of design quality and performance. It can efficiently clean the hard floors including tile, hardwoods, laminate, linoleum as well as the low to medium pile carpet.
As usual, this cleaner also included the standard tools; the SBB 300-3 Parquet Twister Floor and STB 205-3 Turbo Comfort Floorhead. Those tools not only can be use hard floors, it’s effective when dealing with per hairs. Here are the great features of this cleaner:
- Use the Miele 1200-watt powerful Vortex motor.
- Six-stage power settings that can be changed via +/- footswitch controls for different suction when dealing with various surfaces.
- It uses HEPA AirClean filter that can capture up to 99.97% of particles.
- AirClean 3D Efficiency GN filter bag with the indicator to change the bag.
- Long power cable with auto rewind with just single-touch of a button. You can extend the cleaning reach with the stainless steel telescopic wand up to a max of 36 feets cleaning radius.
- 3 accessories are included: The upholstery tool, crevice tool, and dust brush with natural bristles.
- 1-year warranty for parts and 7-year warranty for motor and casing.
- You can read our editor full review about this Miele C3 Calima vacuum here.
- To get more info and read the genuine consumer reviews, visit Amazon.com.
#3: Best Under $500 – Miele Compact C1 Turbo Team
The release of their Turbo Team model reflects the Miele company committed to producing quality and a durable canister vacuum. In fact, almost all of the cleaners by Miele are produced with beautiful design and have an average life span of 20-year.
The Compact C1 Turbo Team is another cylinder vac by Miele that is very affordable, and it’s suitable for those homes with more hard floors and less carpet areas. It features a complete sealed filtration system to ensure all air flow through the machine reaches the exhaust filter. The other notable features of this canister:
- It’s powered with Miele 1200 Watt Vortex Motor for thorough cleaning performance.
- 6-stage variable speed control via rotary dial for different suction needs while cleaning different type of surfaces.
- AirClean Filter sealed system that can capture almost all the particles.
- About 18” power cord with auto cord rewind. It also comes with a telescopic wand to increase the cleaning radius up to 29.5 feet.
- This vacuum has three wheels that swivel 360° for easy maneuverability.
- Accessories included: Dusting brush; crevice tool; and upholstery tool.
- The special cleaning tools like SBB Parquett-3 hard floor nozzle and STB205-3 air drive Turbo nozzle are included for cleaning the hard floor and low-pile carpet.
- 1-year warranty for parts and 7-year warranty for motor and casing.
- Click here to read our editor’s review about this Miele vacuum.
Let’s see the vacuum overview video here:
If you want to get this cleaner, amazon.com is an ideal store with very attractive price.
#4: Best Budget – Hoover CH30000 PortaPower Commercial Canister Vac
This bagged vacuum is among the cheaper option machines available in the market. It’s a lightweight and portable cleaner that is very suitable for small or light cleaning jobs. This vacuum also comes with built-in blower that can help in some ways you while doing the cleaning job.
Following are some of the notable features of this Hoover CH30000 canister vac:
- A moderate 4 amps motor power.
- The vacuum weight of 3 lbs is a super lightweight canister vacuum.
- It uses a reusable commercial cloth vacuum bag to collect debris and dust.
- The vacuum have10 inches wide nozzle width to ensure faster cleaning. The included stretch hose can help you doing the above floor cleaning or hard to reach areas.
- A long 33’ power cord to extend the reach of the vacuum and hence reduce the cleaning time. No cord rewind available.
- Three accessories are included: crevice tool, dusting brush, and floor nozzle.
- 2-year warranty.
- To read the unbias review for this Hoover CH30000 vacuum by our editor, click here.
- To check up the latest price of this canister machine, visit online giant Amazon.com.
#5: The Cheapest – Eureka Mighty Mite Corded, 3670G
This model was one of the best seller products in the market for the past few years. Even this cleaner is not equipped with the latest technology, but it’s still one of the models that preferred by many users. The main reasons are that it’s very affordable and the machine can do the cleaning job pretty well on various surfaces.
Following are some of the features:
- An average suction machine with 12-amp motor power.
- The vacuum uses the HEPA media filtration that can capture almost all the pollens and allergens. You also can remove the dust bag easily.
- Very lightweight canister cleaner with just less than 9 lbs so you can easily carry the machine throughout the house.
- It has 2-setting height adjustments for carpet and bare floor cleaning. The cleaning mouth is about 10 inches wide.
- The vacuum integrated with extension wands to extend the reach and allow above floor cleanings like stairs and upholstery.
- It comes with a blower port that is convenient for cleaning the workshop or garage.
- It has 20 feet power cord length, no auto rewind feature.
- Accessories: crevice tool and a combination dusting and upholstery tool.
- 1-year warranty.
- Read the full review about this canister vacuum here. You also can check out the latest price of this model on Amazon.
Best Bagged Canister Vacuum from Consumer Reports
Before we go to see the pros and cons of having bagged cleaner, you may want to know which is the best bagged model picked by Consumer Reports (CR)?
After checking out on the CR’s website (specifically on their bagged vs. bagless vacuum post), we know which model is their favorite. Well, it’s a Miele vacuum!
Well, we got no doubt on this Miele models as well and it earn many high ratings. This compact series cleaner can be space saving when storing it. The Miele Electro+ is a higher-end canister machine, but the performance, quality and durability will reassure you to get it.
This model comes with motor-driven SEB228 Electro+ floor head and the SBB Parquett-3 attachments to help you to do quick and thorough clean on the carpeting, hard floor surface, as well as pet hairs.
The Bagged Vs. Bagless Vacuum Cleaners
This type of vacuums is older than the bagless and at one point in the past were the only vacuums on offer. Miele, Kenmore, Hoover, Bissell and Eureka spring to mind as these companies sell quality stick, upright and canister bagged vacuum cleaners, which will help you live in a dust-free environment.
The following we outline the advantages and disadvantages of a bagged vacuum cleaner:
The Benefits of Bagged Vacuum Models
- Bagged Vacuum is Hygienic?
The obvious advantage with bagged vacuums is quick disposal of filled dust/debris bags direct into your outside bin area. No direct exposure to harmful dust and dirt collected from your carpets or flooring. So considering of hygienic option, bagged machine is a winner.
- Suitable for Allergy Sufferers
This type of cleaner also recommended for asthma or allergy sufferers since the bag itself can effectively trap the dust and debris inside the bag. This results in a cleaner and freshens air environment.
- Advantage of HEPA Filter on Bagged Cleaner
If the bagged vacuums come with a HEPA filtration system, this can have more benefits since the filter can capture up to 99.97% of particles and pollens. Of course, the HEPA filter is available in all types of vacuums (including bagless canister cleaners).
- Bag-full Light Indicator
Most new models of bagged quality vacuum cleaners come fitted with a ‘bag-full’ indicator light that shows when to empty it.
The following video shows the pros and cons of the bagged Vs. bagless cleaners:
You may like to know: Why Bagless and the 5 Best Bagless Canister Vacuum Reviews!
The Drawbacks of Bagged Vacuum Cleaners
- Cost to Buy Bags
Although you do not have to clean and replace filters, you will have to buy replacement bags, which sometimes can be costly and an inconvenience. Many people often find that when the time comes to replace their bag, it is not in stock anymore and it can take up much of your time.
- Keep Hygiene When Changing the Bag
When the time comes to change the bag, there should be no mess or escaping dust. Years ago, bagged vacuum cleaner bags were quite thin compared to today, which resulted in an unacceptable amount of unhealthy leakage.
A quality bagged vacuum cleaner will not or less pose these problems as it could have a self-sealing bag which prevents dust escape and dirty hands.
- Decrease in Performance When Bag Fills
The overall performance of bagged vacuums will slowly deteriorate at the same rate as your bag fills up. This means that your vacuum will begin operating at 100% using an empty bag and gradually lose that suction and ability as the bag slowly fills up. Luckily some of the new models will have an indicator to let you know when to empty the bag.
- Better Filtration System?
In general bagless machines have a better & secured filtering system which endeavors to stop even the tiniest dust or allergen particles to escape. But this does not apply to every machine as every manufacturer have their own design specifications.
*** Important Points to Consider…***
To be honest, most of the bagless vacuums are NOT quality cleaners (with exceptions like Miele or Dyson models). Usually, those bagless cleaners will last for about 5 to 7 years. Also, most of the bagless vacuums have a filter that needs to be replaces after several years.
Just to let you know that many manufacturers also claim to have lifetime or washable filters and hence no replacement costs. In reality, the filters still need replacements, and the filter costs are far more expensive than couple packs of bags for most canister vacuums.
A bagless machine can last you a while if you take good care of it (meaning you are willing to disassemble them to clean the filter or any possible areas that get clog). So, if you are looking for a cleaner that can last longer (or even a lifetime), get a bagged model.
So as you can see, both types of vacuums have their own pros and cons; but they still can do the cleaning jobs pretty effective. Just coincident or not, our top rated canister models recommended on our home page comparison table are bagged cleaners!
Conclusion: Pick One According to Your Needs and Budget!
To summarize, this bagged vacuum cleaner guide concludes that if you are susceptible to dust or any sort of breathing problems, then it’s wise to consider buying one.
If you are unsure which bagged canister vac to choose from, you can get any one of the recommended models by our editors. Those models are thoroughly selected, and our editors also undergo in-depth reviews before we finalized the top 5 recommended models.
If you want us to make a choice for you, we will choose Miele Complete C2 Hard Floor Canister Vacuum as it’s a truly reliable bagged canister vacuum cleaner.