Last updated on January 14th, 2023
Home appliances are one of the many things that make our living comfortable and enjoyable. When it comes to appliances all the good ones come with a good price tag; vacuum cleaners are no exception.
But does that mean all expensive vacuum cleaners meet all our needs? Not really. Each brand has a USP and each model caters to specific needs.
If you are uncertain about where to start then you will find this guide extremely helpful. Whether you want a budget model, or you want one that is best for cleaning pet hair or something for your hardwood floors, we have sorted out the options for you.
This article reviews some of the popular models of vacuum cleaners for long hair from different brands. You will get to know the important features, price, pros, and cons of each model.
Part 1: Best Vacuum for Long Hair
1. Best Overall - Shark AZ2002 Vertex DuoClean PowerFins Upright Vacuum
Shark vacuum cleaners are a favourite. This is a 2-in-1 upright type model from Shark. It is suitable for cleaning all types of floor. It is also great at picking up after your furry friends. Take a look at its various features and decide if this is the right type for you.
The Main Features
- DuoClean PowerFins – It comes with Power fins and a soft roller. The bristles are made of silicone and therefore are suitable for all surfaces.
- It uses Hyper Velocity Suction technology – Offers stronger suction for squeaky clean floors.
- The HEPA filter with Anti-allergen Complete Seal technology keeps the allergens and impurities locked away.
- Uses Powered lift-away technology so that you can clean the most difficult to reach areas such as furniture, walls, and stairs.
- The brush roll has a self-cleaning mechanism. The dirt goes directly to the dirt cup without getting stuck anywhere.
- It features LED lights on floor nozzles good for cleaning dark areas.
- The hose is 5.5 feet, plus a 30-ft power cord. This length enables you to clean ceilings, curtains, stairs, and window frames.
- The vacuum weight is 16.38 lbs.
2. Budget Pick - Bissell Cleanview Swivel Pet Upright Bagless Vacuum, 2252
We love pets. They are our family. But just because you share or space with them doesn’t mean you have to put up with the hair all over your space. The vacuum for pet hair should be able to reach every nook and cranny of your house because hair can reach all places. Although there are several options available in the market, you can never go wrong with the one from BISSEL.
The Feature Highlights
- It has an 8amp motor. This means the suction is pretty strong to clean pet hair with ease.
- A multi-level washable filter system – reduces allergens and prevents dust and dirt from flowing back into the air.
- The triple-helix brush roll – allows you to loosen, and remove embedded hair and dirt
- Lightweight design – Easy maneuverable, clean different surfaces with minimum effort.
- Swivel Steering – Most of the dust and dirt get collected under the fridge, beds, sofas, and couches. The swivel neck can be rolled and moved into these places to suck up all the mess.
- Easy maintenance – Just bring the vacuum close to the bin and tap the button on the back to empty the contents into the dust bin. There is no need to put your hands inside the canister.
- The Bissell 2252 vacuum weight is 16 lbs.
3. Best 2-in-1 Cordless - Bissell ICONpet Stick & Hand Vacuum, 22889
Bissell is one of the few companies known for producing great pet hair vacuums. The company keeps on innovating newer models with better technology. The Bissell ICONpet is one of their new additions. It boasts of improved features and better cleaning. Let’s see how the new model is better than the older versions.
The Key Features
- Adjust the cleaning power on three levels – low, medium, and high. It can clean up to 8 inches of hair. Since it is meant for pet owners, the brush roll is designed to be tangle-free.
- It is fitted with a 22-volt Lithium-ion battery. On the lowest speed setting, it can work for as long as 50 minutes. It also has a wall-mounted charging station.
- Cyclonic filtration system – It makes sure that the suction stays consistent and at the optimum level throughout the entire cleaning process.
- The patented Tangle-Free Brush Roll – special engineering bristles ensure pet hair goes into the tank (bin) without wrapping in the brush roll.
- Smart Seal Allergen System – This is especially useful for asthma and allergy sufferers as it can trap the dust, & dirt inside the vacuum.
- LED lights – The light on the cleaner head (crevice tool) make cleaning on dark areas easier.
Part 2: Best Vacuum for Long Human Hair
4. Editor’s Choice - Shark APEX AZ1002 DuoClean with Self-Cleaning Brushroll Upright Vac
You will notice that the Shark Apex AZ1002 DuoClean Upright Vacuum is very similar to AZ1000W. However thanks to its new accessories and better efficiency it stands out from the rest. The brush is made of firm bristles for removing even the toughest debris from all kinds of surfaces. The features are discussed below:
The Notable Features
- DuoClean Technology – The Dual brushroll ensures that the stains get removed without damaging the surface.
- Self-Cleaning Brushroll – It wraps quality clears away all the hair that gets stuck to the bush roll.
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology – This HEPA filter cleaner is able to trap all the pollen and allergens inside the vacuum itself, especially useful for those allergy sufferers.
- Powered-Lift Away – You can lift away the machine to get rid of pet fur from the floor, under furniture, and for above-floor cleaning.
- Noise Reduction Technology – This reduces the vacuum noise level.
- It includes 3 attachments (Crevice Tool, Upholstery Tool, Pet Power Brush) to work with all kinds of fabrics and surfaces.
- A long 30-ft power cord with front LED lights.
- The vacuum weights 16 lbs.
5. Best for Allergies - Dyson Ball Animal 2 Upright Vacuum
If you have been using vacuum cleaners for a while you would know that Dyson vacuums have been in the market for a pretty long time. This makes one thing clear – that the brand can be trusted. Dyson vacuums are known for their suction power and performance. The Dyson Ball Animal 2 also features these two qualities. This model is exclusively meant for families with pets because it can suck up long hair. But is it worth investing in? Let’s find out:
The Great Features
- It is aesthetically pleasing. Only a few vacuums can be proud of their looks. The exterior looks fabulous in a sleek gray and purple combination.
- Radial Root Cyclone technology – Able to capture more dust and pollens.
- It has self-adjusting cleaner heads to help during the cleaning process.
- The tangle-free brush is specifically made to collect fur and hair.
- Hygienic bin emptying as you just push a button to empty the dust bin.
- A Certified Asthma and Allergy Friendly machine as it captures all the allergens inside the vacuum.
- It comes with several attachments so make sure that every kind of surface and corner becomes dust and dirt free.
- The Dyson Ball Animal 2 offers a 5-year warranty.
Part 3: Best Vacuum for Long Pet Hair
6. Best for Pets - Shark Navigator Zero-M Self-Cleaning Brushroll Pet Pro (ZU62) Upright Vacuum
Most vacuum cleaners offer a standard cleaning solution. They are all pretty decent in effectiveness and ease of use. The Shark uprights, however, seem to get good ratings most of the time from online shoppers. The Shark Navigator Pet Pro ZU62 is being reviewed because it gets top rankings among the vacuums meant for homes with kids and pets. Read the tips to clean the pet hairs.
The Main Features
- It is a powerful suction machine and works with the same intensity whether you are using the main unit or including the attachments.
- The self-cleaning brush roll is a great feature that de-tangles the collected hair and fur on its own. You can turn off the brush roll if not needed.
- It is a 2-setting cleaner; Setting I (bare floors) can clean carpet, hard floor, and above-floor cleaning. Setting II for deep carpet cleaning and remove pet hair, pet fur, and fibers.
- It includes a large capacity dirt cup of 2.8 qts. Thus, it allows you to clean for a longer time without any interruption.
- The Dynamic Swivel Steering makes this vacuum can easily maneuver around furniture or tight spots. It moves swiftly and has a comfortable height.
- The Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology with a HEPA filter is able to trap most dirt, dust, or pollens inside the vacuum to ensure a fresh air environment at home.
- It has a 25-feet long power cord. Great for most homes.
- The vacuum weight is 16 lbs and the manufacturer carries a 5-year warranty.
7. Best Canister Model - Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog Canister Vacuum
Miele makes different types of vacuum cleaners mainly on the canister, and upright models. It’s available in a variety of colours and sizes. The Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog canister vacuum is meant for pet owners. Let’s find out what makes this model so popular among pet lovers.
Also read: Tips for cleaning pet hair with canister vacuum.
The Feature Highlights
- Powered with 1200-W Vortex Motor ensures great suction.
- Miele AirClean Filter – Great AirClean sealed system to capture the dust and dander, etc.
- 6 Suction Levels – Let you control the suction power needed when cleaning different floors with +/- Control switch.
- The SEB 228 Electro Plus Electrobrush is great at cleaning high pile and plush carpets.
- The SBB300-3 Parquet Twister lets you clean around furniture and other objects.
- The STB 101 Mini Turbobrush allows you to clean smaller spaces quickly. With the telescopic wand, you can clean in between areas.
- It comes with an ergonomic handle, which offers easier access to the accessory compartment.
- The cleaner has the proper insulation to muffle the sound. You can therefore clean without disturbing your pets.
- The power cord is long. It increases the cleaning radius to a little over 30 feet.
The Best Vacuum for Long Hair – Buyer Guide
One of the major concerns people with long hair have is untangling the hair that gets stuck in the vacuum cleaner. It’s a tedious task for us and to add to the pain, sometimes it causes the brush roll to break.
But this doesn’t mean you cannot use a vacuum machine because thanks to the innovations the newer models come with great tools that offer solutions for every cleaning needs.
Thinking about the best vacuum for long hair? Check out the features that you need to consider. Also, check out the facts about pet hair vacuum.
- Get a vacuum that has a tangle-free brush.
Duh? Tangle-free brush rolls have a self-cleaning mechanism that untangles all the hair that gets pulled in. In most models, an intervention is not needed. The high-end ones come with brush rolls that have smooth bristles which prevent the hair from getting stuck.
Some types come with a push-button cleaning option. You just push the button and the hair gets removed. If the self-cleaning option is not for you then you might want to get a vacuum that comes with a brush roll that is easy to clean.
- A wide hose and an easily accessible dirt cup.
Agreed that these parts don’t have to do much in the vacuuming process. But if the hose is not wide enough (needs to at least 1.5 inches wide) it will lead to clogging. Easy access to the dirt cups allows you to get rid of any stuck debris.
- Suction power truly matters.
The greater the suction power the better the vacuuming will be. Powerful vacuums can pull in long strands of hair and fur all the way up to the dust bag. The brush roll does matter in picking up the hair but a strong suction power is also needed to pull it through without letting it get stuck anywhere in the hose.
Even if you get a vacuum with all the above-mentioned features you will need to do manual cleaning of the brush roll occasionally. All models require occasional maintenance. This ensures lesser repairs which in the long run will save you a lot of money.
The above are three main vacuum features that you should check out if you want to get a reliable vacuum for long hair. Of course, there are some other general factors to consider like the vacuum brand, filtration, attachment included, warranty periods, price as we already discussed on the home page.
A Final Word
Vacuum cleaners have flooded the market. There is one for everyone. This can sometimes confuse buyers. But here is the secret key. When buying a vacuum cleaner there are two basic questions you need to ask yourself –
- Is the vacuum cleaner easy to use, handle and store?
- Can it clean all the areas of your home and is it suitable for your floor?
All the vacuum cleaners reviewed in this article made it to our list because they passed the test. We have done our bit. Now it’s up to you to decide whom you will be bringing home with you.