Last updated on July 3rd, 2021
No matter how frequently you scrub the hard floors, once the dust has made its way to the seams, you’re done for. That goes for the carpets as well — dander, dust, and sand can get amassed within the material, which would be impractical to remove, causing persistent allergies and irritation.
Leaving it, be would be equivalent to jeopardizing your health. However, you can get it all squeaky clean by getting yourself a canister vacuum. They are not only efficient in cleaning hard floors and carpets but also mattresses, chairs, delicate fibers, and many other surfaces, without making much jarring sound.
Unlike upright machines, they can get into corners, clean stairs, and are easy to carry around. Having to say that, we have enlisted some of the best canister vacuums for under $500.
- Best 5 Canister Vacuum for Under $500 Reviews
- Best Canister Vacuum Under $500 – Buying Guide
Best 5 Canister Vacuum for Under $500 Reviews
The following are 5 of the top canister models that are under 500 dollars we pick for your different floor cleaning needs.
#1: Best for hardwood floors – Miele Complete C2 Hard Floor
The device is powered with a 1200-watt Vortex Motor System and having six variable suction settings that make quick work of any dust. The settings allow you to vacuum on any surface, including delicate ones. These settings are adjusted via a rotary dial that allows you to choose the power level as per the cleaning surface.
The model features two state-of-the-art flooring attachments that are everything you could ever want in a vacuum cleaner; SBD 285-3 combo floor and rug tool, possesses retracting bristles that work both on hard flooring and low to medium-pile carpets. The retraction can be controlled by a button present on the handle.
The second one, SBB 300-3 Parquet floor tool, being extra-large, covers a wide area and helps you clean faster. It packs strong bristles that can make their way into flooring cracks and toss out the debris.
An additional compartment incorporates dust brush tools, crevice, and upholstery, ensuring easy access to essential tools whenever you need them. Plus, you wouldn’t have to worry about storing them elsewhere.
Note: This Miele C2 Hard Floor also rated as one of the best canisters for hardwood floors.
- Power: 1200 watts
- Max cleaning radius: 33 feet
- AirClean sealed filtration system
- Adjustable working height
- GN AirClean Dustbag
- Combination floor and rug tool (SBD 285-3)
- 16” Parquet floor tool (SBB 300-3)
- Automatic cord rewind
- Integrated tool storage
- Ergonomic carrying handle
- Full review: Visit this page
- The combination of two-floor tools lets you work on all types of floors.
- The bristles on the tool offer maximum cleaning.
- The device is completely air-sealed.
- The power cord retracts automatically.
- The integrated tool storage comes in handy.
- It does not have a HEPA filter and uses a Miele AirClean Sealed filter. The upgrade to add a HEPA filter would cost extra.
- Automatic setting suction is not available.
#2: Best Commercial – ProTeam Commercial Backpack Vacuum, 107109
Behold a machine that surpasses all of its predecessors with its powerful cleaning technology. All achieved by a powerful 1108 W motor that creates a suction so powerful, making it efficient against almost all surfaces — carpets, hard floors, curtains, mattresses, cushions, and plush surfaces.
Another feature that makes this commercial vacuum stand out is the larger than average dirtbag capacity. It can filter up to three times more air than most traditional vacuums, meaning you wouldn’t need to change the bag often.
All this without triggering any allergies or irritation, thanks to the four stages of the filtration system, which is good for people with asthma and respiratory sensitivity. One of them is a HEPA filter media that efficiently eliminates dust mites, pet dander, smoke, debris, sand, and pollens at the micron level.
As for ease of use, this model is the winner. The long 50″ power cable allows you to clean most of the rooms without plugging the device off. Plus, it can be strapped to your back, and the lightweight construction makes the task hassle-free.
In terms of design, the unit is different than traditional canister devices such as the discussed Miele C2 series, making it a unique backpack cleaner.
- Power: 1108 W
- Weight: 11 lbs.
- Multi-surface cleaner: wood, tile, and carpet
- Four stages of filtration system
- HEPA filter included
- Power cord: 50-foot (very long)
- Large dirtbag capacity
- It is a lightweight and quiet vacuum.
- The pro-level filtration is extraordinarily impressive to trap almost all the allergens
- It has an extra-long power cord and provides a wider reach.
- The dirtbag has a large capacity so eliminate having to empty it often.
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor cleaning as equipped with several accessories to help you clean the large areas.
- Backpacking the device might not be the best way to clean the hard-to-reach places but this machine is lightweight.
- It does not have an accessories storage compartment.
#3: Best Bagged – Miele Compact C1 Turbo Team
You would be equally pleased and surprised to find out how lightweight it actually is. Just like all the models of the Miele compact series, the device is lighter in weight and easy to carry or move around.
Being the first in the lineup, it has many common features; a powerful motor, a natural-bristled Parquet Twister floorhead, a comfortable design, and many similar attachments. However, it lacks the extra-wide floor head, thus takes a little more time to clean the floor.
Further, the device features six adjustable suction settings that can be selected via the rotary dial. Each option deals with a certain floor type and it can be switched rapidly along with the varying surfaces.
What’s more, the presence of multi-layered AirClean filters ensures that no cloud of dust forms during the process. And the completely sealed built to keep the flying dust to the minimum.
The Notable Features:
- Power: 1,200 W
- Cleaning radius: 29.5 feet
- Multi-layered filtration system
- 6 different suction controls
- AirClean Sealed System
- Adjustable working height
- Turbo Comfort Floorhead STB 205-3
- Small Parquet Floorhead SBB Parquet-3
- Auto Cord Rewind
- Full review: See here.
- This is one of the Miele cheaper models that worth purchasing.
- The cleaner is compact and quiet.
- Its lightweight construction makes it easy to move around.
- The filter is efficient in locking the dust and dirt in the vacuum itself to ensure freshen home environment.
- It comes with three tools dusting brush, crevice nozzle, and upholstery tool.
- The machine does not include a HEPA filter. Instead, it uses the AirClean filter.
- It is not suitable for deep pile carpets. However, it’s good for cleaning hard floors and low-to-medium carpets.
#4: Best Bagless – Dyson Big Ball Multi Floor
The design comes straight from the future. Not only the appearance but also the functions are pretty futuristic. This Dyson model features bagless technology, which means instead of a traditional dirtbag, it incorporates a removable dust-bin. It is embedded with a mechanism that filters out the microscopic debris without ever clogging the pipes.
You would certainly appreciate its ease of use, considering that the device carries a self-adjusting floor head and self-righting body. In simpler words, the device adjusts itself along with twists and turns you make during cleaning. How convenient is that?
As for cleaning performance, the results might not rival perfection, but they are good enough. For instance, it can clean all surfaces, including hardwood, and carpet. The whole machine using HEPA filtration to ensure all the particles trapped inside the vacuum itself.
- Suction power: 250 AW
- Two-tier Radial cyclones technology
- Carbon fiber turbine head
- Ball technology and self-righting capability
- Bin capacity: 47 gallons
- Hose Length: 10 feet
- Cord Length: 21 feet with auto rewind
- Accessories: Turbine head, combination tool, and hair tool.
- Certified asthma & allergy friendly by aafa.org
- Full review: Read here.
- A good and powerful suction cleaner.
- A bagless model that does not require dirtbags.
- It works on all floors – hard floors, low and medium-pile carpets.
- Ball technology – all the core components are housed in the ball and easy steering.
- 5-year warranty (parts and warranty)
- The length of the power cord should’ve been longer but it can reach a max of 35-ft.
- The price of Dyson vacuums is not cheap as compare to other models but they offer quality and sturdy appliances.
#5: Best for Pet Hair – Kenmore 81214 200 Series Pet-Friendly Vacuum
Kenmore 81214 is a simple bagged canister machine but has all the essential capabilities to be counted among the best. It packs HEPA filters that prevent any formation of dust clouds. But it needs regular maintenance to work at its best. Along with that, it is outfitted with cyclonic technology that prevents clogging and ensuring the longevity of the filters.
In terms of cleaning performance, it might not have much to compete with the best cleaners, but it does serve its purpose. Due to dual-motor systems, you can effortlessly alter the suction while dealing with multiple surfaces.
Dust bunnies, dander, pollens, debris do not stand a chance against its powerful suction, which works on every surface — hardwood, tile, linoleum, carpet, curtain, and stairs including the pet hairs.
The device comes with three additional attachments for maximum performance; dusting/upholstery brush to clean stairs, curtains, vehicles, furniture, and cabinets of all sizes. Also, crevice nozzle to reach difficult places. All these tools are stored within the main body for easy access.
- HEPA filter system
- Dual motor systems provide powerful suction and deep cleaning
- 4 heights adjustable to tackle different types of floors
- Vacuum wand length: 9 feet
- The detachable handle is good for cleaning tight spaces or car interior
- Power cord length: 24 feet with retractable feature
- 3 versatile tools: crevice tool, bare floor tool, and dusting brush
- HEPA filter gets rid of allergy-triggering pollens.
- The power cord can be retracted automatically.
- This is a compact cleaner that can clean any surface.
- The device does not clog often.
- The main unit has a storage compartment.
- Filters require constant maintenance.
- A bagged vacuum that required you to buy the bags but proper maintenance will last longer than bagless counterparts.
Best Canister Vacuum Under $500 – Buying Guide
To look for a reliable vacuum is not an easy task especially within a specific budget. To make a sound purchase of a canister below $500, you must consider these things:
1. Suction Control
Cleaning hard floors and carpets require powerful suction. But vacuuming a delicate fabric with the same power can tear it into pieces. Here suction controls come in handy.
With such controls, you would have the luxury to manipulate the suction through different modes. Some modes, by consuming more electricity, vacuum with high-speed power. While others are having steady suction are ideal for delicate surfaces.
2. Filtration System
For people having allergies, the flying debris and dander aren’t healthy. To avoid triggering an allergic reaction, look for HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) filters. They filter the air using multi-layered micron screens that trap even the finest particles.
Look for these filters to enjoy a healthy environment. This is especially obvious if any of your family members are having allergies. Check out the vacuum best for asthma & allergy sufferers.
3. Length of Power Cord and Hose
How annoying would it be to not being able to reach a corner while cleaning? There is a chance you might unplug it mistakenly every time you cross the cord limit. It can not only drive you mad but also the tension in the cord can wreck your machine. Therefore, the length of the power cord and the hose holds high importance.
Keep that in mind that the power cord should be at least 20 feet, while the hose should be six feet long minimum. Some models offer a cord as long as twenty meters, which can also be a hassle to handle once it gets tangled.
4. Dirt Bin Capacity
Being compact, canister vacuums do not usually have a large dirt capacity. But that doesn’t imply that you can’t find a relatively larger one.
With smaller capacity, you’d have to change the bag/empty the dirt bin often. It makes the process very inconvenient. Therefore, look for the models that incorporate large dirtbags while retaining the small built.
5. Noise Level
Nobody wants a train’s siren to honk in their living room. Well, some traditional vacuum cleaners sound like that, being painfully loud. People would rather avoid cleaning than suffering from this torture. If you are among those who find these noise levels bothersome, then canister vacuums are ideal for you.
Some of these machines come with ultra-quiet features, built to suppress the noise. Canisters work between 60 to 80 decibels. But remember, the cheaper the device, the louder it will be. Therefore, consider this during your search.
Also read: Best canister models for under $300.
6. Cleaning Path
It is defined as the diameter of the cleaning wand. The bigger the width, the more area It will cover in a single run while the smaller ones will take twice as much time.
However, the larger ones can suck into other things that fit inside the tube as well, including toys, small electronics, stationery, etc. Consider these facts before making the final decision.
A vacuum cleaner is moved around a lot during cleaning sessions, and it would be troublesome if it weren’t lightweight. Luckily, canister cleaners are relatively lightweight and easy to carry around. That goes for most of them; however, some are bulkier.
You might want to avoid them, but some of the hefty ones come with a powerful suction motor. If you’re willing to sacrifice the ease of use for power, then it’s all on you.
On the whole, an ideal vacuum should have suction powerful enough to drag dust from the floor cracks along with the ability to manipulate the power. Also, a wide cleaning radius and construction that ensure ease of use would be desirable.
All these traits can be found in canister vacuum cleaners for under $500, and they offer great value for money. Our reviewed products and the compiled buying guide provide all the information that you could ever want to make an educated and sound decision.
The author, Powell Wong has been working in the vacuum cleaners industry for the past 8 years. Now he created this website to help people choose the best and reliable vacuum cleaner by providing comprehensive and unbias reviews on various vacuum models.